Monday, July 09, 2007

The Bilerico Project gets wacky

Remember when I mentioned that I would also be blogging at bilerico? Bilerico was an “LGBT” blog that started in Indiana, got super-popular and went national (I was part of their expansion). Now, due to all of this attention, the blog has relaunched (yes, today) as The Bilerico Project, with literally 30 contributors writing pretty much whatever they want (although my posts about cruising are unfortunately considered too racy for the bilerico crowd).

The Bilerico Project has certainly gone after the gay "nonprofit" elite -- starting today, both Matt Foreman, director of the, umm… endlessly inspiring National Gay and Lesbian Task Force (NGLTF) and Joe Solmonese, director of -- gasp! -- the wealthy gay lobbying group masquerading as the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) -- both of these ghastly "gay leaders" will be contributing their insights. They will be joining not only me and the original bloggers, but none other than Candace Gingrich (fortunately, Chastity Bono and the Mary Cheney will not be in attendance -- yet!).

But wait -- joining us will also be Jessica Hoffman, one of the brilliant minds behind Make/shift, Yasmin Nair, who somehow manages to publish thought-provoking pieces about immigration, public sex and assimilation in Windy City Times, and Gina DeVries, one of the shining lights in sex radical circles. Also, all of these great people from Indiana who I'd never heard of before...

I do believe that The Bilerico Project is trying to actualize that liberal mythology that multiple sides can be represented together, and a conversation may ensue -- I look forward to the madness of it all...

Usually, I choose selected posts from my very own blog (that's right, the one you're reading) for The Bilerico Project, but today I've posted an elaboration on an earlier post by Sean Kosofsky -- my new post is provocatively titled "Rape and pleasure," and will post 3 1/2 hours from this very moment.

And now you know where to find Candace Gingrich...

4 comments:

drunkontheory said...

Who said you can't post about cruising? Silliness abounds.

Alex Blaze said...

"I do believe that The Bilerico Project is trying to actualize that liberal mythology that multiple sides can be represented together, and a conversation may ensue"

Damn straight!

Oh, wait, it's not one in the morning, I don't know if I can comment on your blog, lol.

But seriously thanks for the plug. I wonder what would happen if Mary Cheney wanted to start a Motherhood Blog with us, writing about the joys of childbirth, changing diapers, etc.... I'd read that!

I do believe that we're a week overdue on a phone conversation.... My fault, things got beyond crazy last week around here. Email me about when a good time is and stuff!

D. said...

i love your description of gina, i think it's very apt.

also, i wonder if somehow you could discuss bilerico as a passing narrative. it seems like they are refusing to pass regarding the mythos of liberal queers as a cohesive community.

mattilda a.k.a. matt bernstein sycamore said...

Aha-- well, I'm allowed to post about cruising, as long as I don't talk about cocks and mouths and things, but I don't think it would be entirely honest to talk about one without the other.

And Alex, well now it's 2 a.m. -- I'm waiting for the next comment... but not Mary Cheney's motherhood blog, scary -- and yes, let's certainly talk soon -- of course I understand about things getting crazy -- Tuesday or Thursday night should be good...

Deena, I'm glad you like the description of Gina -- I was certainly trying! As for bilerico, I do think you're right that they're passing as liberals in resisting the mythos of the monolithic "LGBT" community *and*, as you actually said, refusing to pass regarding the mythos of the cohesive community :)

Although, it would be quite a stretch to call Joe Solmonese (the head of HRC) "liberal queer"... I guess liberal in the context of "neoliberal," queer in the context of a brick wall...

Oh wait it's late, I'm getting wacky myself -- thanks for all the great comments!

Love --
mattilda