Sunday, September 09, 2007

Everyone else's ledge

In the morning, I can feel the soot from the forest fires in my throat, a charred dryness in addition to the usual why-can't-I-breathe broken flatness -- at least I know where this comes from, before I just thought it was someone burning something in their kitchen. Doing my morning movements on the fire escape, I notice someone putting their plants back out onto the ledge outside their window. All I can see is hands with a red sleeve and the plants looking freshly-cared for, the red sleeve matches the red of the geranium until the screen is installed in the window, pushed down to keep it from falling out although I still like looking at the plants contrasting the white window ledge, this person must have painted the ledge too because everyone else's ledge looks dirty.

No comments: