Saturday, September 29, 2007

There's something about Oprah

Me: In this culture, writers just aren’t valued. My mother: How can you say that? How can you say writers aren’t valued in this country? I would say that teachers aren’t valued. Me: you’re right -- teachers aren’t valued either. My mother: if you tell someone you’re a writer, they’re immediately impressed, but if you tell them you’re a teacher -- oh, no -- they’re not interested at all. Me: people might be impressed, but there’s no social value attached to being a writer like being a doctor or lawyer. My mother: well you’re right about that -- you don’t get paid and that isn’t fair -- but you could get a book on Oprah. Me: that’s never going to happen. My mother: how can you say that? Me: I’m never going to write something that will be consumable enough for Oprah.

My mother: you’ve probably heard of that book Middlesex. Me: yes. My mother: I never realized that people could be born with both… Me: Intersex? Tons of people are born intersex. My mother: Oprah did this whole series on sexuality and gender and I don’t even know the language -- transgender -- it was very sensitive. Me: you know I don’t watch TV, but I don’t imagine that I would’ve found it sensitive. My mother: I think you might, there’s something about Oprah.

2 comments:

JordanV said...

I think being able to say to someone "I am a writer" is so intresting and admirable. Words, libraries, bookstores, and writers are cool.And yes I think it is sexy to be a writer. Oh and fuck Oprah.

mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

Jordan, cool and even sexy! Well that sounds lovely... but wait, doesn't Oprah decide -- I thought Oprah decided everything...

Love --
mattilda