Tuesday, September 04, 2007

A truly unique living opportunity

I'm showing Lance the gate they put up for that alley off Post, I mean it's a public alley in the Tenderloin but they put up this huge gate anyway – There’s a Zephyr Realty sign on the gate, is the gate for sale? At least we can undo the lock, I mean it's a sliding old-fashioned thing. Probably they can't lock us out because it is a public street, right? Anyway, we go right up to the house for sale, this tiny brick number, apparently it's A Rare Downtown Opportunity! That's right -- only $965,000, when studios are going for $400,000, well -- this turn-of-the-century brick carriage house represents a Truly Unique Living Opportunity! Somehow they've squished three bedrooms, 1 1/2 baths, a large kitchen and a large living room/dining room into the place, although browsing the website I'll admit the rooms look tiny. Really really tiny. But such character, that's right -- character!

A carriage house -- those were for horses, right? This one was built in 1907, right after everything burned down in the 1906 earthquake, but were there carriages then? The bricks are laid in a much more hand-made way than the larger buildings nearby, I think it probably predates them by 20 years or so... Help! I want a history lesson, yes a history lesson -- do you think realtors Kathryn and Tony Roberts (Isn't that cute? A married couple!) will deliver? I'll keep you posted...

4 comments:

Miss May said...

You know how much I love your scathing real estate posts!

mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

Stacey, I'm so glad!

And I'm still looking around for the horses...

Love --
mattilda

grantatee said...

i can't decide... this house or las vegas... hrm,

mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

Girl, there's no reason to choose just one!

Love --
mattilda