Sunday, October 21, 2007

I don't want desire to feel like a cage

Sometimes I look at certain men who came of age around when I was born, that time when people called themselves liberation, they embraced it. I watch some of these men in the sexual spaces I try to inhabit, decades of neglect framing addiction, emotional catastrophe, medication, health crises, assimilation, masculinity, desperation grasping rage driving sex. This cultural norm around pleasure at any cost even when it's no longer pleasure -- you devour what you can; you can't leave. Welcome to a new generation, tv screens in eyes an internet chat room. It's like no one else is around except you and what you'll never get.

2 comments:

Miss May said...

Mattilda,

This is beautiful:

"It's like no one else is around except you and what you'll never get."

You and your gems...

Stacey May

mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

Stacey, so great to hear from you! And gems, I love gems -- that's a very sweet...

Speaking of gems, I did find a property for you -- sometime in the relatively near future I'll post something about it...

Love --
mattilda