Tuesday, March 25, 2008

I'm working at it

I really don't understand sleep, I mean I really really don't understand it. Last night I was in bed for almost 14 hours, and most of that time I was actually sleeping not just thinking about every loose end until it’s just me in a bed of loose ends, if only scissors would help I've got lots of scissors.

But really, I'm lying there in bed, switching sides when my shoulder hurts too much and adjusting the eye mask so the sun doesn't come in, sure there’s that time when I'm wide awake way before I should be awake, but I'm not sure so I'm sitting there thinking about it. I mean I'm lying there, not sitting -- I'm in bed, lying there trying to figure out if I should get up. But I don't feel wired -- kind of relaxed, actually, until I realize I need to sleep more, and then I actually fall back asleep, this happens maybe five or six times until I guess it's time to wake up, no maybe I need to sleep more.

I look at the clock: oh, it's after 3 p.m. So I get up. And then I feel like how can I possibly get my head to work, what's in my head, the thing that usually works, I'm working at it.

2 comments:

stephen said...

how long did it take you to get used to the eye mask? i always fantasize about prolonging my sleep or making it less hazy by wearing an eye mask but then they end up irritating my face. i sleep best nude with a few comforters and lots of pillows. but yeah, my schedule right now is set up so i don't have to wake up till 2 or 3 most days and i don't know how i'll ever be able to convert back. 14 hours of sleep is essential, and to think, lots of the people i know live on 4-6 hours a sleep a day... yikes!! no wonder so many people are INSANE!

mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

Oh, I can't possibly sleep anymore without an eye mask, I have these plush puffy cotton ones but my eyes do get wet and then I get a rash sometimes, certainly feel free to call if you want eye mask advice -- and you're right, no wonder so many people are insane...

Love --
mattilda