Tuesday, March 04, 2008

One heckuva view

I actually lived in horrifying Williamsburg, Brooklyn from 1997 to 2000, and I had the reverse experience of most people when they move to New York -- I had the biggest apartment I've ever had in my life, I shared a 1600 square foot loft space with one other person and we paid $890 total. The apartment was so big that you could basically drag anything in off the street, and it still looked like the apartment was empty. We had a little living room set up in the middle, but it just looked like why is that furniture sitting there?

I wish I could say that I loved it, but actually I hated it. The part of Williamsburg where I lived was mostly used car lots and subsidized housing, which was certainly better than living smack in the middle of hipster central on Bedford Ave., but it was way too far from the L train and walking past stray pit bulls and an endless array of guys who kept saying they wanted to kill me, even when they saw me every day -- it got a little tiring. Eventually, after we painted some of the apartment in brighter colors, it started to feel like a refuge but then our slumlord broke into the apartment and stole everything sellable (stereo, laptop, etc.), tore things off the walls, turned the dresser upside down -- oh, after leaving a message saying: there's going to be trouble. It's a long story, but basically they wanted more money. I was hard-core or crazy so I just changed the lock and stayed, but that's a whole other story. Today's story is about the new condos now cluttering the waterfront in Williamsburg, maybe a mile or two from where I lived but still Williamsburg -- suburban office towers masquerading as the ultimate in urban living.

If you like logos, you'll love THE EDGE. But wait, what about ONE HECKUVA VIEW? Be sure to read the fine orange print at the top after the panorama, "our 20 favorite reasons to live in Williamsburg"...

(These educational links come directly from copyranter.)

5 comments:

james said...

number nineteen? Factory tours? Off the top of your head, what can you name that is manufactured in Brooklyn? The cartridge for my turntable "Grado" was made there, I bought it ten years ago. I would imagine that that is a very small factory. Ceartianly there is no heavy industry within walking distance of this condominium. Off the top of my head, I think "Sweet N Low" was once manufactured in Brooklyn. maybe it still is.

james said...

number 19 factory tours. O.K. I have been surfing Google. There are a good handful of manufacturing companies in Brooklyn. Wow! here is a job opening for operating a CNC lathe! I got to work a CNC milling machine when I took a machine tool class back in school! Wait a minute. This job is in a town called Brooklyn Center, Minnesota. I do not think if I got hired as a machinist, I could afford that condominium anyway.

grantatee said...

#2: Hipsters with funny hair.

oh, my.

xoxo,
grant

keidy said...

Matt you should tell the good people that read your post about the time in new york that a person stole your back pack. Talk about trouble. You were crazy not to leave the apartment.

mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

James, I think they mean tours of factories that have been demolished to build luxury condos, or -- even better -- remodeled into luxury condos. Although when I lived in Williamsburg '97-2000 we did live above a lampshade factory with toxic fumes, and across the street from a conch-shelling (!) warehouse -- horrible horrible smell in the summer, oh no -- I wonder who's living in that lovely place now...

Brooklyn Center, Minnesota -- you're hilarious!

Grant, when you're on the 20th floor with that telescope, you can even tell what hair products people are using...

Keidy, I don't even remember that time, I'll have to do some deep thinking -- but who's Matt? Sounds like someone you met at karate in suburban Maryland in junior high...

Love --
mattilda