Monday, March 31, 2008

Read David Wojnarowicz with me...

Tea Time at Modern Times
Tuesday, April 15 @ 7pm
Modern Times Bookstore
888 Valencia @ 20th Street
San Francisco, CA
415-282-9246

Join me, your host, for a discussion of Close to the Knives, by David Wojnarowicz, the first book I discovered (back in 1993, after I heard about David Wojnarowicz in an obituary) where I finally saw a reflection of the radical queer outsider rage I felt, combined with maybe a little bit of hope in a world of loss.

There will be free tea and biscuits, and I'll talk for a little bit and then we'll get acquainted with the book and all of our opinions -- if you haven't read it yet, it's not too late to start now! I can't wait to hear what you think...

"I feel that I'm caught in the invisible arms of government in a country slowly dying beyond our grasp. There is something singing of this, something in the currents of wind and breeze floating along the black electric cables lining the roads, something I can't see or touch but moves in the shape of vowels and uttered sounds like the spinning soft bodies of birds playing with the sky." -- David Wojnarowicz

10 comments:

Az said...

Damn, I would so be up for reading and talking about Close to the Knives. On the other hand, I'm gonna be in SF in late April for a couple of days, passing through on the way to Transsomatechnics. Meet me for tea and un-glutenous vegan cake?

Sam J. Miller said...

Gorgeous stuff. These are the moments where i feel like New York's literary landscape is boring as fuck. And then i think about moving to the Bay. And then i think about organizing a David Wojnarowicz discussion in NYC.

grantatee said...

i'll be there-- the event sounds great.

and, i discovered david wojnarowicz thru your recommendation... remember that one time at that bookstore downtown?

love,
grant

mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

Az, well we simply must get together in SF -- let's plan ahead, for sure!

Sam, darling, yes of course a discussion of David Wojnarowicz in New York, keep me posted! Or, even better, if you moved to SF :)

And Grant, of course I can't wait to see you -- I do remember that recommended La Wojnarowicz to you, but I thought it was at my house --wait, what bookstore downtown?

Love --
mattilda

grantatee said...

girl, i didn't want to publicly announce it, but it was at borders books. but wait, maybe it was at your house... i can't remember. either way, i wonder what kind of biscuits they are going to have... sweet or savory?

wheat and gluten free?

xo,
grant

mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

Oh, *that* bookstore downtown...

I think it was at my house, though (I might have even given you a copy, did I?) -- maybe you're saying my house is as welcoming as Borders?

Unfortunately I know nothing about the biscuits -- very doubtful that they'll be wheat-free or gluten-free (or anything I can eat), though... Feel free to call the store and ask :)

Love --
mattilda

grantatee said...

honey, my not remembering says nothing towards the supreme delight and welcomeness i experience in your home.

you have quite the collection of books- and your house is downtown. maybe you could open up shop and have a mattilda's info shop and book store that is open 24 hours-- a sister store to the vcr repair shop down the block.

loveeeee,
grant

mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

A sister store to the VCR repair shop down the street, indeed! While you're waiting to get your VCR repaired...

With a backroom, and a DJ, of course...

Love --
mattilda

james said...

Yes! Bookstores are always great! I worked last week at the bookstore in Downtown Lexington VA while the owner was on vacation. I put "Dancer from the Dance", "Nobody Passes", "How I Learned to Snap" and "How Long Has This Been Going On?" in the front display window. I gave my copy of "Close to the Knives" to the art gallery owner up the street last month. I need to order another one.

mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

James, that sounds like a glamorous front window...

Love --
mattilda