Saturday, April 05, 2008

Sometimes a conversation in the cosmetics aisle at Hell Foods can cheer me up...

Are you a beautician?
No, I'm not a beautician.
Well, do you know about something called “rihatia,” it's something black women get from wearing wigs all the time and then your hair starts to fall out where you put the wig on, do you know what I mean?
I know what you mean, but I don't know much about it.
It's hard, because there are so many products, but none of them are natural -- I have so many products and none of them work -- your hair looks great, very healthy, it has a glow to it -- is that your natural color?
Yeah, this is my natural color.
It's a nice color, different colors -- natural highlights and it really looks healthy -- you look great, everything -- you look great. I don't know why I thought you were a beautician.
Maybe it's the look.
Where I come from, they call that PUNKED out, like I'm getting punked out today -- this wig I'm wearing today, what do you call this style?
A bob? It looks nice.
I got punked out today -- for a black woman this is a punked-out hairstyle, and I was wearing big gold earrings too but then I took them off because I was wearing too much for the places I was going. But you look great -- I think you look great, everything is done, I like that. A lot of women don't like that look, but I do -- although I haven't found anyone I've been in love with, yet.

No comments: