Sunday, May 18, 2008

My favorite quotes from the gay marriage news coverage

From Kris Hill, after making an appointment to marry her partner Karen Stodghill on June 16 at City Hall in San Francisco: "It's like we're not second class citizens in California anymore... It's like we get to drink at the same water fountain now." (San Francisco Chronicle) Hmm... I wonder what water fountain they were drinking at before.

Also from the Chronicle, in an op-ed by Scott Olin Schmidt, proclaiming "Biggest shift in gay culture since Stonewall":

"Now we just need someone to marry!" one friend messaged me, pretty much summing up the conundrum facing gays and lesbians over the next six months… Until today, there has been no archetypical relationship for gays and lesbians across America. Nothing to look at and say "That's what I want." Only in tiny Massachusetts could a gay man like me even think about getting married and then consider with whom to form that union.

This lack of a model or structure for legal, recognized partnerships created the impression that promiscuity was the norm for the gay community. And, I would argue, contributed to the spread of AIDS and other plagues on the gay community.

But today, all that has changed.


Now, that's a new argument -- Let's repeat this sentence: “This lack of a model or structure for legal, recognized partnerships created the impression that promiscuity was the norm for the gay community.” Okay, so the impression that promiscuity was the norm contributed to the spread of AIDS “and other plagues.” I guess, because, you know, all those slutty gays just wanted to imitate the norm.

But I'm still curious about the mysterious phrase, "and other plagues." Is this the Middle Ages? I mean, marriage certainly helped to halt the spread of plagues then.

7 comments:

the zak said...

by Erica Noonan
http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/
2008/04/14/skillfully_preserving_jewish_ritual/


http://beritmila.org/

mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

Hmmm... I'm unclear on the relevance of circumcision in this context -- certainly an unnecessary procedure, religious or otherwise -- but I'll leave the links up just in case there's something I'm missing...

mattilda

the zak said...

" '...my 2.5 children...' "

"Suddenly gay people say, 'Oh, well actually I
  don't wanna be different. I just want my
  white picket fence, my 2.5 children, my two
  dogs...' wanting to be part of a system that wants you dead is suicidal, ahaha."
http://www.smokinggunfilms.com/html/truths.html

also note
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._L._Mencken
http://www.io.com/~gibbonsb/mencken.html
http://www.mencken.org/

mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

Okay, well that's better -- it's a quote from me, yes me -- thanks for listening :)

Love --
mattilda

the zak said...

http://www.der.org/films/index-by-subject.html#G
Gay and Lesbian Studies

Dear Old Oak Parkers / An Oak Park Story
Friends in High Places
Oak Park Stories: Rebekah & Sophie
Of Men and Gods (des hommes et dieux)
Olivia and Tim: Very Much Alive
Out of Order
Rebekah and Sophie / An Oak Park Story
Val / An Oak Park Story

Joan Kelly said...

"Hmm... I wonder what water fountain they were drinking at before."

Thank you for that.

"Is this the Middle Ages? I mean, marriage certainly helped to halt the spread of plagues then."

[insert reflexive I-fucking-love-Mattilda outcry here]

mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

Yay -- I'm glad you like the "news" analysis, Joan!

Love --
mattilda