Friday, May 30, 2008

RadioActive Utah and my new toaster...

Troy Williams, the producer of the show, warned me beforehand that just being an "out homosexual" in Utah makes you a flaming radical, but Troy also encouraged me to let it all out -- and it was a great show! The host, Brandie Balken, brought a radical queer analysis, an empathic ear, and a great laugh to the table, so we had a lot of fun...

Some of the sponsors of the show include the largest mainstream gay groups in the state, and I wonder if a show with similar sponsors in San Francisco would have me on for a whole delicious hour. In some ways I wonder if there's an interesting opportunity for radical queer thought when anything gay or queer is already considered radical. Of course, it takes some devious types like Troy and Brandie to bring it to the table...

The show was a call-in program, and Brandie mentioned they were getting more callers than ever before. From name and identification I would say that most, if not all, of the callers were male, and about half of them identified themselves as hetero. It felt like people were interested in engaging with anti-assimilationist ideas, even if they weren't familiar with them. Several callers started by saying that they supported gay marriage, but then ended up critiquing marriage, like this one person who said: "the best thing about marriage is the tax breaks."

But wait, what about the toaster?

(RadioActive will be archived soon, so I'll post the link)

Oh -- and I'll be on the radio again on Sunday -- this time on a program called OutLoud on the Clear Channel-owned Green 960 AM, at 8 p.m. Pacific Time)

No comments: