Thursday, August 14, 2008

Maybe a start

These days it seems like whenever I sit down at the computer to write my face clouds over and I can't think it’s my sinuses slamming into perception into me, oh no where does all that pain come from? But the good news is that I had a great doctor's appointment, I mean it started like usual -- waiting forever and wondering what awful things were going to happen, I mean I had a few questions ready for the whole half hour I was allotted but waiting a half hour beforehand I kept staring at all the doors that said x-ray, wondering why those doors were open -- close those doors, I can feel myself getting cancer already! But then, wait – she’s totally present and asks good questions and when I say I've been vegan for 16 years, almost like I'm dismissing it because I've learned that doctors are going to tell me that's part of what's wrong or not just doctors but most healthcare practitioners. But she says: congratulations! And when we're talking about my past history and medication, and I say that I was sexually abused by my parents as a kid, and that's where I think all of these health struggles originate, she says you're right, that makes a lot of sense. And then, when we're talking about exercise and I'm asking whether she knows of a heated pool without chlorine, and she actually thinks about it, and then says I'll have Janet make some calls tomorrow, she's gone for the day but I'll definitely let her know tomorrow. Then she looks over my blood work, and zooms right in on the thyroid, answers my questions about the hormone, thinks of a few other things we should test -- celiac, which is basically a gluten sensitivity; H-pylori, which I guess is some sort of bacteria that can cause stomach problems and ulcers; plus the thyroid again. And she even answers my questions about supplements! So instead of leaving feeling drained and overwhelmed, helpless and exhausted, I actually feel excited. Who knows what will happen, but maybe it's a start.

7 comments:

Emily said...

hey mattilda darling, this is such great news!!! I'm so glad to read it. can't wait to catch up by phone, damn this time difference! love you, sweetie.

Michael Faris said...

Wow, I'm glad the doctor's visit went so well. After so many horror stories from my vegan, queer, and trans friends about their doctor visits, I'm happy to hear about one that went well. :)

mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

Emily and Michael, so great to hear from you! And thank you thank you thank you -- we shall see...

Love --
mattilda

stephen said...

it was quicker than i thought... my friend said in the commentary they basically said... that their(gays) "dreams" are now to get married and to join the army and how they are NOT dreams, they should be the opposite

stephen said...

AND: how mainstream straight people cant identify with the leaders of big queer organistations and how Pride festival is just a big commercial thing now, its all about money

stephen said...

wait........ wrong post box..... sorry..

mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

But wait -- those are my quotes -- are the newscasters agreeing? And what about the guy after me with the un-ironic 1985 hair-do? Keep me updated if you hear anymore -- your friends are fast!

Love --
mattilda