Thursday, September 04, 2008

Here comes the press, yay for press!

First, the fall arts preview issue of 7x7, a glossy San Francisco fashion/style magazine has feted me with a glamorous photo and blurb -- the content isn't online, but here's what they say:

The second novel from Mattilda Bernstein Sycamore, published by City Lights, is a challenging, messy account of a life in San Francisco, written in an unflinching (and at times raunchy) stream of consciousness that recalls William Burroughs. Though perhaps not the book for everyone, it's a good read for those interested in exploring the underbelly of our rapidly gentrifying town through the eyes of our gender-bending queer hero(ine)."
--7x7 Magazine

And, today there's a review in Philadelphia City Paper -- it's a bit confused, but I'll take it...

5 comments:

Lisa Harney said...

Why do I feel like I just read a review of Ulysses Wake in which the reviewer compared it unfavorably to Ian Fleming's James Bond novels?

Lisa Harney said...

Ha, I am tired: I meant Ulysses and Finnegan's Wake.

Now my brain is breaking trying to imagine Ulysses' Wake.

mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

Hi Lisa --

You nailed it -- this is what reviewers are doing, and I'm sure will continue doing -- they don't want to review/understand the novel on its own terms, and so impose much more conventional standards -- the exact standards I'm resisting...

And Ulysses' Wake, indeed!

Love --
mattilda

Lisa Harney said...

And I think we need to encourage more varieties of fiction. Sometimes you just want to relax into the flow of another life and not worry about the end of the world, an alien invasion, or whether Jason Bourne does whatever Jason Bourne did in the latest novel.

I don't have your book yet :( but I've been reading the sample chapters, and I like them so far. It's an interesting time to read them because I've been out of work for a while longer than I'd prefer and "maybe I should try sex work" has been seeping into my brain.

I don't know that I will, and I'm not romanticizing, it's just, the perspective there is something I think is good for me right now.

mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

Lisa, you're so right about more varieties of fiction -- more more more more more, yes more!

And yay for perspective -- thanks for yours...

love --
mattilda