Wednesday, October 29, 2008

From one window to the next

Waking up, I'm impressed that I've managed to keep the same hours -- bed just before 3:30 am , wake up at 2 pm, and I even slept okay! In some ways, strangely I think I sleep better while I'm on tour -- let's just keep that going, okay? Although I feel way more exhausted, so drained that as soon as I eat I start wondering if I'll ever get through this dangerous blankness in my head, much worse on the phone when I'm trying to get someone I don't know to understand or not understand just to communicate without sinking. That's the worst part -- a walk down the street is okay, cold bracing everything in the stores is on sale, the Latino-run clothing stores with cowboy outfits and shiny tights and big plastic earrings that remind me how tired I am not the cold I mean the walk, walk, walk but not that far. Okay, just walk. The most interesting thing I see is a huge brick apartment building converted to condos with shiny new white-framed windows, advertising specialty kitchens but the middle digit of the starting price has rubbed off 1 9,000. Up close it's 189,000, boarded-up windows at bottom maybe smashed? There's a message on the sign that says fuck you. Or just unfinished? All the units are empty, in the corner rooms you can see from one window to the next.

No comments: