Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Changing the sheets

Okay, I will write this before I eat, while I’m waiting for the dandelion greens to steam there was a reason I decided to boil dandelion greens instead of steaming them but today I will let go of that and see. I will write this with music, just a tiny bit in the background so that it doesn’t bother me or the voice activation software, I’m not sure why I’m writing this with music except that today is the day when I wake up feeling like I inhaled all the lint out of the washing machine wait you can’t inhale the lint out of the washing machine it’s wet. Unless you have stronger sinuses than I have so I mean the lint out of the dryer, without even opening that arena it just senses my vulnerability and I will not immediately blame it on the plane. Because this didn’t happen for the first two days, the first two days I slept and this didn’t happen so I will blame it on sleep, interrupted when I smelled something burning oh no it’s the wehani rice, I rushed into the kitchen to turn it off, keeping the lid closed so that the smoke alarm wouldn’t go off I think that was a good strategy.

But then the back pain, oh no the back pain back here in San Francisco I thought maybe I left it on the East Coast in less comfortable beds, not this one like a large pillow, billowing with me and now the back pain and then the dryer lint. When I get up I want to listen to something booming and melodic, do I have something like that? I settle on Talvin Singh, a big deal in the mid-‘90s if you were reading the UK music press or glossy club culture magazines that’s where I found out today it’s not what I’m looking for just a flashback from 1996 that brief moment when drum and bass was the answer it says 1997 but we know how they lie about things like that anyway I decide today’s the day when I have to cut the big plant in the kitchen back otherwise it might die off all the leaves in the front are turning brown while the back is still green-purple and luscious. It’s a day for a new start yesterday I cut back the plants in the bathroom that turned brown in my absence and already they’re green again, much smaller but green and I’m thinking about Derek and how he said I needed to cut back the philodendron when I moved into this apartment, cut it all the way back that’s the plant in the kitchen but then he was wrong it grew back bigger than ever so big that every time he said it’s going to take over your kitchen and I’m thinking about the way he makes things absolute just to scare me and it’s almost January maybe we’ll talk soon a new start there I’m not sure.

Oh wait it’s track five that might save me when it gets all dark and bellowing, tin drums with suspense soundtrack building into shake and rattle but then it switches to sad and classical, in the European sense at least the way Europeans own classical with string instruments. I turn around on the fire escape to face the sun, and I see someone changing their sheets.

6 comments:

stephen said...

i'll tell u the story in person when i get there.

xoxo

mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

Okay, leave me in suspense then...

Love--
mattilda

stephen said...

i'm here two more weeks... i'm just getting started!!! : )

xoxoxoox

mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

But of course... and when you get back, we'll have to start some trouble here...

Love--
mattilda

stephen said...

please, please, please, please, please!!!

xoxox

mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love --
mattilda