Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Right there for the world to ignore the US to fund the world to ignore

Today all I can think about is the way genocide works intergenerationally, of course I’m thinking of the US-sponsored Israeli annihilation of Gaza going on right now as the year turns into the next year of annihilation. I’m thinking of the way Israel was founded on this illusion of homeland disguising genocide, and especially the way leftists in the US often used to say that Israel had a right to exist, even if they were critiquing Israel, because of the stranglehold of the Zionist lobby on US politics, until relatively recently I mean the Zionist lobby stranglehold continues but Israeli genocide is so blatant and uninterrupted that now that token gesture of Israeli support falls away, at least that’s something.

Tonight the pro-Palestine demonstration makes a surprise appearance outside my building and I rush outside to catch it but people are already splintering away from the cops at least there’s that moment, I’m not sure what moment except it goes by my building and that wasn’t planned. I’m thinking about something Ali Abunimah said about how it’s important to remember that human beings are making these decisions, these calculated decisions – every lost meal lost school lost tree lost home lost limb lost life lost village lost community lost hope it’s all calculated.

I’m thinking about how these survivors of genocide moved to enact their own genocide in order to prevent genocide, the way their myths no longer work but nothing is even hidden now it’s right there for the world to ignore the US to fund the world to ignore.

5 comments:

gina said...

so true-- the US funding the world to ignore. it's fucking crazy how the US and the people in the US can ignore everything like war going on right now or even recession going on right now and people here can act like they don't even notice. even in our own lives our own lives. i silently think about this in the moment and how wrong it feels this crazy contradiction right in front of my face but don't really say anything. thanks for saying something. and the US should fucking stop this funding of wars and starting their own, of course, but i'm sadly not holding my breath. it could all be so much better.

love you--
gina

gina said...

ps i thought of sarit when i read this so just forwarded it. and i got a text the other day that your book finally arrived! there are SO MANY WAYS TO SLEEP BADLY in tel aviv! that's the last leg of your tour, right? xoxo

mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

So many ways to sleep badly in Tel Aviv, indeed...

Love--
mattilda

tofuqueen.net said...

it's the worst thing ever. I cried for thirty minutes today after watching a video of Palestinians dying in the streets, missing arms and legs, brains blown out, i've been sick ever since. I can't stop thinking of the yelling, the injuries, and the violence. I don't know what to do.

mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

I know -- and it just gets worse -- I don't know what to do either...

Thanks for writing!

Love --
mattilda