Tuesday, January 27, 2009

An interview on the Rumpus -- and, a rare reading in the East Bay tonight!

Can I quote myself for a moment -- here's an excerpt from the interview:

Complacency isn’t a right, it’s a privilege. I’m interested in accountability and I’m interested in building a culture of defiance. I think it’s perfectly fine if people choose conventional life choices but it’s important to figure out a way to do the least damage rather than the most. We all make horrible compromises in order to survive in this monstrous world but the point is to make the fewest compromises possible, not to push everyone aside in order to grab any privilege we can get our hands on and then police the borders to keep out those who have less access. If the status quo is a rabid, militaristic, imperialist project camouflaged by the illusion of everyday normalcy, then yes, it’s definitely a problem if you’re a willful part of it.


Oh, and here are the details for the reading:

So Many Ways to Sleep Badly in BERKELEY
Moe's Books
(with Thea Hillman)
Tuesday, January 27, 7:30 p.m.
2476 Telegraph Avenue
Berkeley CA 94704
(510) 849-2087

5 comments:

Hilary Goldberg said...

amazing and thoughtful and well said! here's to a life of accountability and defiance...

xhil

jessica hoffmann said...

mattilda, that paragraph is amazing. totally worth quoting yourself over. xo

mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

Hilary, I'll toast to that!!!!

And Jessica, you're making me blush...

Love --
mattilda

beans45601 said...

Hey Mattilda! This is Adam from Arkansas, I just wanted to say that a) I am bad at keeping up with blogs, but I am going to attempt to keep up with yours. b) This is my new favorite quote.

mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

Adam, it's so great to hear from you -- and, you are too sweet :)

Love --
mattilda