Saturday, January 31, 2009

Lostmissing: a public art project

You know when you have a friend who you think will always be there -- no matter what, at least you’ll have that friendship, right? Lostmissing is a public art project about the loss of that relationship, a specific relationship for me -- right now it’s missing. I want to express myself in public space in a way that feels personal and more meaningful than a private expression because I want to connect to other people and other lostmissing stories. This project is a public expression of grief in order to feel hopeful again -- it’s about that random poster you see and you don’t know what it means but your eyes get bright all the sudden.

I will be putting these posters up everywhere I can think of, and posting photos of the posters in public space, and even making new posters out of those photos and then posting photos of those new posters too. And I’m giving the posters out to people to put them up in their own towns and kitchens and living rooms and bathrooms and galleries and meeting spaces and community centers and bars and workplaces and on the street and on abandoned buildings in bus shelters and on public transportation at shows of all kinds and on bulletin boards and in store windows and in letters and in taxis and on the internet and near dramatic views and tourist attractions and in your own art and wherever else you can think of. I want to make this expression of sadness and anger into something collective, and I want people to add their own lostmissing stories to the posters if they want to, and then I want people to send revised posters or photos of posters in public or private spaces, affixed in any way you find appropriate, and then I’ll post it all on my blog and maybe make a zine or a handmade book or some form of documentation that puts it all together. What do you think?

Feel free to click the images on my blog as I post them, and print out the JPEG and post everywhere… I can also send you hard copies of the posters as I make them, or a PDF of each poster as it arrives -- just let me know, and I’ll make sure to send them your way! You can leave me a message here, or feel free to email or call or write -- all my info is here....

Yay -- I’m so excited!

17 comments:

Lola said...

mattilda, i don't know you, but i've been following yr blog for a while and this is wonderful. similar spirited project happened in providence:

The Last Time I Saw...

mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

Lola, thanks so much for the support -- and I'm going to check out that other project right now...

Love --
mattilda

Colouring Outside The Lines said...

Let me know if I can help spread your posters.
Melanie xox

mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

Melanie, absolutely! Anyway you want to would be lovely -- let me know if you want hard copies or a PDF instead of printing out the JPEG. Oh -- and please send me pictures, if you're able -- it would be lovely to see them across the Atlantic, or across the continent and then the Atlantic...

Love --
mattilda

Colouring Outside The Lines said...

Feel free to email me the poster pdf to m_k_maddison@hotmail.com and I'll do some sneaky copies at work ;)
And of course I'll send you photos
xox

mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

Melanie, that sounds great -- and I can't wait for the photos!

Love--
mattilda

Nine said...

Please send me PDFs too! nine at jinxremoving dot org

mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

Nine, absolutely -- I'm thrilled!

Scotland will be lostmissing in no time...

Love --
mattilda

MELtmedown said...

Lostmissing #36 is going up at the LGBT Office at NYU and also in my room. Heartbreaking, beautiful and EXACTLY what I'm feeling right now.

mixedqueer said...

i could put some up here in florianopolis and maybe rio too. mixedqueer at g mail dot com

mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

MELtmedown, thank you thank you!!!

And mixedqueer, Florianopolis sounds delightful (and Rio would be lovely too, if you're in the mood).

Oh, and if either of you are inspired, do you take pictures and send them my way :)

Love --
mattilda

penelope chaos said...

Mattilda I came so close to joining this project when it began--that was the first time he went lost/missing on me. I was in too much pain to even leave my bed. Then we made up. And guess what? He disappeared again. Though not quite literally because he lives 2 doors down from me. So I see his ghost or his car or some damn reminder every single day. And I am sick every single day. I'm leaving town next week and plan to plaster Denver with your posters and some of my own. Thank you for this project darling, I can't wait to participate.

mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

Penelope, of course I can understand understand understand!

And I can't wait for Denver...

Love --
mattilda

Wil Lake said...

M- I can imagine whyy you rarely enter the ole' adage of communication...I am glitched in here on the east-coast. Those west coast days sure spoil a gender bender Punk Rock fag...oops sorry to be incorrect. I cannot connect your Blog..to my Blog for instant reading and inspiration...sorry to keep ringing ya PHONE when you could be doing something good LIKE sex...and or writin'/typing.
Peace sex and the Bloggin.

mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

Wil, it's always lovely to hear from you -- yes yes, the East Coast leaves a bit to be desired, that's for sure -- although I guess you could say the same thing for the West Coast -- feel free to call anytime, I think you've been calling when I've been sleeping, or who knows -- the phone is always off if I'm not awake, so no worries there...

Oh -- and I'll add your blog to my friends list, but it seems to have some kind of twitter feed that blocks it, hmmm...

Love --
mattilda

Evgeny said...

I found these at the abandoned/ruined train roundabout in Brisbane - took some pictures that can be found at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/yevgene/sets/72157624865486127/

Then I went searching! Glad to find you.

mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

Evgeny, I'm so glad you found the Lostmissing posters -- and, I love your photos -- thanks so much for sharing, I'm going to post a link to the album as my next blog post...

Love--
mattilda