Saturday, April 11, 2009

Tears that burn

This is ridiculous. I wake up and my whole apartment smells of pot, reeks of it -- it’s so bad that I open all the windows but nothing changes. I go in the hall to see if that’s the problem -- yes I still smell pot, but not as bad as in my apartment, where my eyes are burning, forehead crinkled into pain, nose and throat filled with so much snot I just keep trying to blow. I mean I blow, and then there’s more. Keep blowing. I’m sick of blowing.

I try to figure out which doorway the pot smoke is coming from, but nothing gives it away. I go on my fire escape and look downstairs -- every window is closed. But what if it’s my next-door neighbor? I look at his windows: all closed. What’s the point of trying to feel better, when there will always be something assaulting me? My eyes are still watering and I wish I had some kind of tool to open other people’s windows, although that would just hurt my hands. I could climb down the fire escape and try to pull from outside. I could ring their doorbells -- delivery: snot, tears, fears, can you please help? I know it’s allergy season, but please don’t make it worse! It’s the middle of the day; probably no one’s home. And I don’t want to ring anyone’s doorbell before I’m dressed. I don’t want to ring anyone’s doorbell to talk about pot smoke anyway -- it just sounds so uncomfortable and annoying. My eyes keep watering, the kind of tears that burn. I need more air; the air doesn’t help.

4 comments:

thissouthernfaggot said...

I think you should do an experiment to see if it is coming through the walls. Maybe you could somehow create a really fowl smell in your apartment and then go sit outside and wait and see if anyone comes to you to complain?

Clearly this plan has lots of problems, but it's a plan none the less.

mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

Oh, no -- that plan sounds scary! Let's think of other plans...

Love --
mattilda

Hilary Goldberg said...

fans facing outward at your windows?

mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

Much better idea -- yes yes -- but actually there's tons of air coming in and out of my apartment, it's just those times when it gets stuck anyway, help! Maybe I just need control over the sprinkler system in other people's apartments...

Love --
mattilda