Sunday, July 05, 2009

Wait-- is it my imagination, or is Saks Fifth Avenue satirizing the gay marriage agenda?



Left display window: mannequins in Diesel underwear (and one with a hat, one wearing bow tie, and the other sporting a bandana), and the slogan -- EQUALITY IS THE BOTTOM LINE



Middle windows: a (fisting?) glove hanging from the ceiling prepares to dial numbers for various male names on post-its -- Jon? Chad? Carter? Dick? The slogan: CALLING FOR EQUALITY





The final window: mannequins in designer underwear (not only Diesel now, I think I spot some Calvin Klein!), wearing tie, bandana and hat (and those cute socks!), and yes, the slogan -- EQUALITY IS THE BOTTOM LINE

Somebody give that window designer my number!

9 comments:

mixedqueer said...

what! those are so cool!

mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

I know-- who knew that high consumer drama could possibly provide any insight, but I guess when you compare it to the gay movement -- yes yes, I'll take those socks instead of marriage, any day!

Love--
mattilda

Tony said...

this is too much! i love how easily the pro-marriage discourse utilizes capitalist hegemony. "equality is the bottom line" - well, for calvin klein, and other designer labels - that doesn't apply to their workers or the environment. lol!

Love

-Tony

mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

So so true -- but, doesn't it seem that here they are actually *critiquing* gay marriage, that's what is a surprise to me!

Love --
mattilda

mixedqueer said...

i had to repost this on my blog.

http://mixedqueer.wordpress.com/2009/07/06/virus-in-the-system-cool-window-displays-at-saks/

thissouthernfaggot said...

Mattilda, you can either fight for gay marriage... or fist for gay marriage. What will you choose?


I hope thats what we were supposed to get form this campaign. If not... someone needs to talk to their advertising rep.

mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

Mixedqueer, yay for reposting!

Thissouthernfaggot, "you can either fight for gay marriage... or fist for gay marriage!!!!!"

Now, that is the slogan we must copyright soon -- millions for that slogan!

Love --
mattilda

Jory Mickelson said...

I am not surprised at all. When I lived in Montana, after 9-11, they used dead U.S. soldiers to sell everything from cars to "hero" sandwiches.

I say we shop for the best alimony instead!

As I said to Justin yesterday, "I would marry you, just so I could divorce you right now!"

mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

True enough -- dead US soldiers are a great advertisement for hero sandwiches!

And yes -- why is no one advertising divorce?

Love --
mattilda