Monday, August 31, 2009

Probably not the best thing to watch while I'm eating

Looking down, I see two yellow-gloved hands reach out of a window to scrape layers and layers of pigeon shit off the ledge -- I hope there’s not a sudden gust of wind blowing upwards. But then there’s a third hand, pouring water, and before you know it you can see the cement instead of lumpy layers of white and gray. I’m not sure about the people on the next floor down, though, with all that moisture flowing.

Then the yellow-gloved hands move to the next window over, pouring water over soot and then scrubbing away the layers of almost-black revealing almost-white. The sooty water pours into someone’s beautiful gardenia bush down below, staining the flowers gray. I don’t think I like these green flageolet beans -- they smelled so delicious while they were cooking, but after four hours of simmering and a night to cool down I can still taste the skins.

2 comments:

kayti said...

at least that gust of wind never came. Things could always be worse you know

mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

You are so right!!!

Love --
mattilda