Thursday, November 12, 2009

It's the world premiere of my first film!!!

It’s true -- Gina Carducci and I made a film together and it’s gorgeous!!!

The premiere is next Tuesday during the opening night of MIX NYC, New York’s only queer experimental film festival -- are you ready?

Here are the details:

Tuesday, November 17 @ 8 pm
THE MIX FACTORY
125 W. 21st St. (btw. 6th and 7th Ave.)

It’s opening night, so tickets are $20, but I’m sure there will be tons of jewels to make it worth it -- sadly, I will be on the West Coast so I’ll be unable to make it, but I would love to hear what you think!

Here’s more info on our film:

All That Sheltering Emptiness is a meditation on elevators, hotel lobbies, hundred dollar bills, the bathroom, a cab, chandeliers, cocktails, the receptionist, arousal, and other routines in the life of a New York City callboy. Gorgeously hand-processed in full 16mm glory, this film is a collaboration between Gina Carducci (Stone Welcome Mat) and Mattilda Bernstein Sycamore (author of So Many Ways to Sleep Badly; editor of That’s Revolting! Queer Strategies for Resisting Assimilation). All That Sheltering Emptiness explodes the typical narratives of desire, escape and intimacy to evoke something more honest. (16mm, color, optical sound, 7 min.)

There’s more info on the festival here

7 comments:

Wil Lake said...

Darlin' you Know I love your work and you are one of my fav artist for the new century but I will be transporting Down to the elaphants graveyard Miami...I may Have become spoiled in those Californian temps...Albiet much Succes and I surely will see this Production as soon as Possible.

As I alway enjoy your work and Object D'art.

Nick said...

Oh girl, you are NOT trying to pass off the Palace Hotel chandeliers as New York City! I'd recognize those old things any day!

(hope I get a chance to see it somehwere)

mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

Wil, you are too sweet -- only on the East Coast would someone say that Miami was like California :)

Oh, the humidity!

But, my dear, of course, whenever it gets over 70° I start getting scared...

And Nick, the Palace Hotel is on strike right now, did you know?

And, of course, "experimental film transcends the specifics of place" -- as someone must have said :)

Someone else must have said: a hotel lobby is a hotel lobby is a hotel lobby...

But look at all that light!

Love --
mattilda

thissouthernfaggot said...

Oh no, I hope this will be available on the internet soon!

mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

My dear, I don't think it will be available on the internet any time soon, but perhaps there will be a screening in Arkansas...

Love --
mattilda

kayti said...

how can I see the movie

mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

Well, you probably won't be in New York next Tuesday, will you? I will look into getting a screening in DC...

Love--
mattilda