Friday, January 01, 2010

Interest

I want to say something about the way history is made and unmade. The way we make these histories in our bodies, which become another kind of history: When I wrote a history of Gay Shame, some people were angry that I was the sole voice, even though for months I had repeatedly encouraged everyone at meetings to write their own pieces for the anthology I was editing. Several people did, but they wrote on other topics. No one else had wanted to write about Gay Shame before, but after the book came out there was all this anger I heard about through shady comments thrown here and there. I had no patience for that kind of critique. I didn’t want our work to immediately disappear from the public record. I knew I was developing a certain kind of access by representing this world that meant something to me, but I was also representing this world. To me there was no conflict of interest.

4 comments:

Piers Gaveston Jr said...

Maybe there is no conflict of interest, but there is interest in the conflict.

mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

Yay -- I love that!!!

Love --
mattilda

Carrie said...

Happy 2010! I hope you are well.

mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

And happy 2010 to you, Carrie!

Love --
mattilda