Monday, February 22, 2010

Get hitched or get ditched -- a short piece I wrote for The Skinny in Edinburgh...

Here's how it starts:
My mother, a straight white woman in her early sixties, recently moved to a newly gentrified area of Washington, DC. The formerly black neighbourhood is filled with young white professionals, and my mother’s building is heavily populated by wealthy gay men. Not surprisingly, the busy pavement is a popular spot for canvassers. The other day, my mother encountered a smiling gay man enquiring, “Are you interested in gay rights?” When she stopped, he asked her to support gay marriage with a financial contribution. My mother told him she believed gay people should have the same rights as straight people – hospital visitation, tax breaks, inheritance rights, healthcare, and the rest – but she didn’t think this should only happen through marriage. The canvasser explained that marriage would help gay people to become part of the mainstream. My mother asked: what about gay people who aren’t mainstream?
And here's the rest.

2 comments:

richard labonte said...

well... i know you and your mother have had issues... but this seems swell... you, ms mattilda, are not mainstream, right? so good for her. of course, now i must read the rest of your post! ...and i did - hoorah for mom! you're obviously an insidious mind/politics-altering persona.

mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

Richard, so lovely to hear from you...

And yes yes, well my mother and I still do have issues, that's for sure (or, I should say, *she* has issues, and I have issues with her), but I'll certainly take "insidious mind/politics-altering persona," thank you thank you thank you!

Love --
mattilda