Monday, May 31, 2010

Israeli troops open fire on Freedom Flotilla aid convoy

I don’t know why this shocks me so much, coming from the brutal Israeli military -- I knew they weren’t going to let the aid convoy in, that they would turn it away with force like they always do, but somehow I didn’t imagine they would open fire on hundreds of people on a ship carrying aid for the people of Gaza, shut off from the world by sickening Israeli policies. It’s my birthday, and I can’t stop sobbing. I don’t think I can deal with going to visit the sea lions like I usually do, at least not right now. I guess I’m up early enough for the protest at the Israeli consulate -- maybe I’ll try going there, even if those protests don’t usually feel empowering. I don’t know what else to do, at the moment. Last night was another horrible night of bloating that kept me up in pain, so I’m not really sure whether I should leave the house at all, I mean leave the house this early, or after I take a shower and get dressed, but if I can find someone to go with me, so that I don’t have to carry my bag, then I think I’ll try.

4 comments:

kayti said...

I hope you visit the sea lions soon they miss you and i miss you.

mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

Oh, thank you so much -- how sweet of you to say that!

Love --
mattilda

Dane said...

It's been wrecking me, too - just scrambling for news has been a pain. Oddly enough, there are almost no reports of what's going on inside - just that some rockets were fired from Gaza, some IDF went and killed the people who supposedly fired them (but how is that different from everyday news?) and there were some riots in Jerusalem. But we only know about that because an American got her eye shot out by a grenade, and they couldn't let that slide.

When you have the hammer, every problem looks like a nail, no?

mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

Dane, thanks so much for writing -- and it's true, because of the Israeli stranglehold on all media output, it is very difficult to get any actual news.

And actually, the US student who got shot in the face by an Israeli teargas canister, deliberately and at point-blank range, was actually in the West Bank, alongside a small, peaceful protest of only about 20 people at the time -- Democracy Now reports on that today. Flashpoints on KPFA-Pacifica also has some good reporting.

It's all a nightmare.

Love --
mattilda