Thursday, August 26, 2010

Other ways to adjust

It’s almost like a formula: I’m sitting in bed, no not sitting in bed -- lying in bed. I’m lying in bed, wondering whether I’m ready to get up, and thinking that maybe the bloating is getting slightly better, I mean it still continues all night long, but something doesn’t feel as disruptive. And then I get up, and it feels like right then my whole belly puffs out and I feel awful, why did I get up so early? I can never figure out what time is the best time to get up -- today I got up a little earlier, only 11 hours in bed, which sounds like plenty, right? Wrong.

Or, when I was in bed, that’s right -- just a few minutes ago, and I was thinking: at least I haven’t had a sinus catastrophe, I mean my sinuses don’t feel good, but it hasn’t gotten to the point where the pain above my eyes drains everything. And then I get up, and that part of my head is so congested that I almost can’t see.

I’m not sure why I thought it was humid the other day, because this is dry heat, very dry. I guess it was because the mold got worse -- I thought dry heat was supposed to make the mold go away, right? I guess today the mold isn’t so overwhelming, actually I don’t notice it, but maybe it’s because my nostrils are so clogged. No, I do notice all the pollution from the tandoori grills in the neighborhood, does anyone talk about that? I thought it was maybe just me with my hypersensitivities-- they couldn’t really use that much charcoal, right? It’s probably the car exhaust that coats my bathroom walls with soot.

But then I was walking down the block with all the Pakistani and Indian restaurants, and in front of one of them was a huge pile of freshly-delivered charcoal. I mean huge. Taller than me -- 6 or 7 feet high, and then maybe 20 feet wide -- huge bags of it like mulch for the garden.

Yesterday I was thinking maybe this dry heat is okay, maybe it’ll be okay in the Southwest -- because it was 100 degrees here, which never never happens in San Francisco -- so never that Randy didn’t believe it, even though we were looking at the website that shows 30 different readings at once, from all the different neighborhoods, but she said we can’t believe in the media, so she then she checked the corporate weather site. In San Francisco there’s always a huge range in the temperature, so on the site with the 30 different readings, when it was 100 South of Market it was still 84 at the beach. But anyway, I was thinking about the dry heat in the Southwest, and maybe it wouldn’t be so bad, but then we went outside in the evening sun, oh my -- get me in the shade. And the problem with Santa Fe is that there won’t really be that much shade, hardly any at all because the buildings are so short so you’ll be walking down the street in the bright bright sun. I mean here, even at noon if you walk close to the buildings they shield you, but there at noon, oh my!

At least this heat wave gets me to order a pair of sandals -- that way I can be prepared, right? I’ve started trying out my bigger sun hats, but one of the problems with a hat is that even if it shields your face from the sun is still makes you warmer, right? I realized oh, that’s why people wear those hats that are mesh, but then so many of those are polyester and that can’t be comfortable in the heat either, right? Maybe sandals will help.

Although I’m not sure this dry heat is the best thing for my sinuses -- I mean, it seemed like the worst thing, really. I remember that from my trip to Santa Fe, actually. Maybe you get used to it? It would seem strange to go there to escape the mold, and then to use a humidifier. But probably there are other ways to adjust.

No comments: