Saturday, September 18, 2010

For better, or worse

Usually when I wake up, one of the first things I think about is what music I should play, and I love it when I just think of some simple beat in my head, and then I’m able to connect it right to the CD, I press play and there I am, I mean here I am, here I am in the music. Today it’s foggy out but weird, kind of warm and sticky too -- not warm like the East Coast or anything horrifying like that, but strange anyway. I guess it was that way yesterday too, until Randy and I got to the radio station, and out there it was so foggy that when we stepped outside it looked like rain, huge drops on the cars and when you looked up it was like fog in a movie, look, we’re in a movie. That neighborhood is kind of movie-like, with steep steep hills but not the fancy houses of the neighborhoods known for the steep hills, but anyway we’re driving around to various dead-ends in the fog and then we find the right way, the street that follows the highway and then you could be anywhere, chain stores and industrial decay, and then we’re back in the part of town that feels more familiar, for better or worse.

2 comments:

John said...

What a beautiful and poignant description - the end felt like I was waking up from a dream. Neither a good dream nor a bad one.

Like my dream last night about a house painter that was reaching for a high corner of the ceiling, started grunting, then moaning, then said "I'm coming", came (the white paint splattering), and left.

mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

Thank you, John -- and, it's true -- that fog was like a dream...

And your dream, hilarious!

Love --
mattilda