Thursday, September 16, 2010

It's official -- I'm leaving San Francisco!!! Come to my goodbye reading...

It’s true -- I’m leaving San Francisco, and would love to see you at my goodbye event…

The End of San Francisco: A Special Preview Reading
Tuesday, September 28 -- refreshments at 6:30 pm, reading at 7 pm
Modern Times Bookstore
888 Valencia St. @ 20th
San Francisco, CA 94110
(415) 282-9246
www.moderntimesbookstore.com

And, a blurb about the event:

It’s true -- after living in San Francisco for who knows how many years (okay -- 14 of the last 20), I’m moving away this fall and would love to see you at my goodbye event, which is also a special preview of my memoir-in progress, The End of San Francisco. The new book is about the people and spaces and feelings in moments of losses that have made and unmade me -- my political, cultural, social, ethical, sexual and emotional formations, and their undoing. The centerpiece of the book is about moving to San Francisco in the early-’90s, and coming of age in San Francisco, Seattle, Boston, Providence, DC and New York. Much of that section, and the next, which starts as the dot-com crash gives way to new perils and possibilities, takes place in the Mission just blocks from Modern Times -- what a perfect place for a special preview reading! Includes refreshments before, and discussion afterwards -- feel free to bring something delicious…

4 comments:

thissouthernfaggot said...

I would like for this to be recorded in some way, so very badly. If it gets recorded, you should be sure to let me know where I could find it!

mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

A great idea, my dear -- I will certainly try to make that happen -- and come anyone who wants to record it, do let me know...

Love --
mattilda

Elián Maricón said...

Wish I could have been there!

Also, I referenced you in a post I wrote yesterday about the Senate vote on DADT. It is cross-posted to a couple of other sites, and let's just say that I am feeling the love, lol. I wish I had Yasmin Nair's energy and tenacity so I could jump into the fray and fight back.

It appears even a few radical queers never bothered to read beyond the title b/c they somehow concluded that I actually support the HRC, lol.

I am excited for you re: your impending move, and I hope you find what you need in Santa Fe. It is about time that your needs start getting met and that your vulnerability is recognized as the precious gift it is--and that people handle it with care.

I love that you discovered an honest acupuncturist. Such honesty is sadly all too rare amongst health care providers.

Also, I really want to see All That Sheltering Emptiness. Is there a way to purchase a copy of it? Cuz it isn't being shown out here in flyover country.

*hugs*

I hope someone makes you feel loved at least once today (and every other day too).

xoxoxoxo

E.

mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

Elian, the event is not until next week, so you still could be there :)

Oh -- and it's always refreshing to read something challenging about the gays in the military garbage, so I'll head on over to check out your lovely post...

An honest acupuncturist, indeed -- at least in that moment...

As for All That Sheltering Emptiness, it is actually showing in flyover country (Indianapolis, at least -- although I know that's not where you are -- actually, I'm not sure exactly where you are -- I thought you were in St. Louis, but then it turns out that Diane was in Michigan, so maybe you're in Michigan?). And of course I want you to see the movie, so why don't you give me a call and we can chat about the possibilities...

Love --
mattilda