Thursday, October 14, 2010

Dry heat

Wait, today it’s incredibly hot but I actually feel okay -- even when I go outside, as long as I stay in the shade it’s not too bad, my head actually feels clear. Is this the fabled dry heat? When I get home I check the humidity -- sure enough, 14%. Maybe Santa Fe will be a good idea, after all.

And even the next day -- yes, my sinuses get dried out, too dry I’m sure and then there’s the sinus headache, I need to find out what will help my sinuses not to get too dry in Santa Fe. But even though my sinuses are dried out, I actually feel better in this heat. At least when I’m on the fire escape, sitting in the sun in nothing but boxers and of course my sun hat, sweat pooling on my forehead until it starts to drip down my face and it kind of feels like I’m exercising. I mean I guess I am exercising, just by sitting here. The bus will be a different story -- I didn’t have to take the bus yesterday. But I’m kind of excited that I don’t feel so awful, I mean right away, I mean probably I’ll feel awful when I go on my first walk of the day, but for now I’m okay so let’s go with it.

Wait, let’s try out the fire escape again, since it’s still before noon and then from noon to 2 I don’t go out on the fire escape because that’s when I end up getting burnt. You know what it is -- it’s the sun that’s giving me energy, not just the sweat dripping into my eyes which I would hate anywhere else but on the fire escape it feels great and actually I don’t have a sinus headache yet, yesterday that happened when I went outside so we’ll see about today but I’m kind of excited, so far.

Okay, now I’ve crashed. My head hurts. I don’t want to go outside again, but I have a feldenkrais appointment. Why is this new cutting board already warping? Okay, I guess I’ll take a shower to see if it helps cool me down, how did it get so warm in my apartment? At least now the weather has switched in Santa Fe, so I can look at the temperature and see oh, 62, how relaxing.

4 comments:

Campbell said...

Hooray for not feeling awful--even if it was only for a little while.

The image of you in sitting outside in boxers and a giant hat is too cute not to comment on.

Everyone always makes fun of the "dry heat" but it really does make a difference. I'm from AZ and would take a dry 110 over 90 and humid any day. I think you will like Santa Fe.

mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

Yes, sometimes I wonder what people are thinking about me on the fire escape, but really what matters is that I can sit there and I love it!

And, oh good -- I'm glad you think I'll like Santa Fe. A question about the dry heat, for an expert: how do you prevent your sinuses from getting super-dry too -- that's what ends up happening to me, and then oh no the headaches...

Love --
mattilda

Campbell said...

Hmm, I don't know too much about dry sinuses. I've never really had that problem, except when I was on Accutaine. I used to use saline solution then. That helped.

Maybe your body just adjusts to it after a while?

mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

I hope so!

Love --
mattilda