Thursday, October 07, 2010

Swing in

Day like today I find myself wondering whether there was really a time when Michael Musto’s column in the Village Voice actually revealed secret worlds, not just Hollywood gossip but something I wanted to find, or whether that was just how it felt when I read it from the prospective perspective of outrunning childhood. Like when I would jerk off to the photos in Interview magazine, upstairs while I was waiting for my father to be done with his patients, I mean on the roof of the building where he had an office, in a little room that was kind of like a library with discarded magazines, I went through all those copies of Interview, thinking about when I would live in New York.

But what makes me think of Michael Musto? Oh, he’s in one of the songs on this LCD Soundsystem album -- James Murphy says eat it, Michael Musto. But what does he want Michael Musto to eat, probably a raspberry meringue, like the Prince song, you remember singing it, right? “She wore a raspberry meringue, I think I lo-o-o-ove her.” What’s a meringue? Like a hat.

We didn’t know about Michael Musto yet, this was camp, no not that camp, really, where the boys in my cabin wanted me to swing in on a rope for the talent show to Van Halen’s “Jump, for my love.” Or whoever sings that song. Maybe Michael Musto. It was because I was the skinniest, they thought it would be easier for me. There was no way I was going to swing in on a rope, especially not for these boys who taunted me all the time, suddenly there was something I could do for them.

How did I know they would catch me? Jordan says there are some songs where you’re supposed to understand the lyrics and then there’s some songs where you’re not. She means that this isn’t one of those songs. All of the songs I listen to. I mean this is one of those songs, the ones where you’re not supposed to understand the lyrics, but now you can find the lyrics to anything online, and I was so disappointed when I realized Lady Gaga wasn’t saying “I’ll get him high, show him what a guy.”

I’m almost tempted to go to an LCD Soundsystem show, even though I hate shows because everyone just stands around and there will be smoke of one type or another although actually this show is outdoors, although outdoors on Treasure Island where definitely no one would catch me but what I’m saying is that I do listen to this album over and over. All the instruments James Murphy plays at once and the way he’s always saying something sexual even when it isn’t sexual but mostly because he makes rock music that builds, I mean it sounds like rock music to me even if they put it in the electronic section because of the lyrics and the instruments even if Jordan thinks you’re not supposed to understand them and what I mean is that it’s not rock music because it builds and Murphy likes to say circular things like that or not quite circular because he switches it up whether it’s a rhyme or just the way it knocks you or the way the music circles you I know sometimes rock music builds but here is the synthesizer beats that build oh those beats and you know when people say they don’t like to hear DJs live, that’s what I think about hearing anyone but DJs live but then I read someone saying that LCD Soundsystem was the best show they ever saw, I don’t know if that’s a good or bad sign but I do know the way James Murphy’s voice wraps around no not his voice it’s the lyrics and how hilarious and clever they are even when they’re not clever enough but especially when they are and yes his voice too the way it sounds casual and unpracticed and accidentally crackly but you know it’s not and the way every album has an arc through excitement and crazed dancing and nostalgia and hope or hopelessness or something in between and when you get to the end no when I get to the end sometimes I’m ready to hear it again and when he says eat this Michael Musto I wonder if actually I did swing in on that rope.

No comments: