Monday, December 13, 2010

Opening

Did I write about the art show yet? The best part was that people immediately interacted with me in a deep and intimate way, because of the intimacy of lostmissing. Straight guys, even – a lot of straight guys. People kept coming up to me, looking like they were on the verge of tears, thanking me. Some people wanted to know who did the writing in the piece. Well, me – of course. But not of course, because often in a visual art piece the writing comes from somewhere else. And, some of it comes from somewhere else, but mostly it comes from me.

I didn’t know what to expect, because sometimes in a gallery everything becomes cold, distant, but people kept telling me they didn’t usually see writing so intimate, vulnerable. That’s what allowed them to be vulnerable, and I loved it.

And, people were immediately going through the pile of posters on the floor, looking for the ones they wanted. I did even spot one person making a small alteration. It was great watching people interact with the piece. I’ll have to go back and see what changes, what I want to change.

Of course then it drained me, I mean after all this intense social interaction – three days later, and I’m still way more exhausted than I was before. At the moment I’m moving through it, so it feels okay. A few minutes ago, it didn’t feel okay at all. It felt terrible, nothing but exhaustion surrounding me, but then I went outside and sat in the sun. It’s warmer today, 52 degrees. Before I was going to write about the exhaustion surrounding me, but now that it’s opening I think I’ll leave it there, opening.

4 comments:

Campbell B. said...

I'm so glad your art show went well! I really love your LostMissing posts.

Campbell

P.S. Thank you so much for the postcard. It was a wonderful surprise.

mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

Yay-- thank you, Campbell!

Love--
mattilda

kayti said...

Your art show is the greatest. I hope you get to do it again somewhere in the East Coast. I lost your new number and your old one doesn't work anymore. Can you leave it on my voicemail. please.

mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

Kayti, yes yes I do want to do lostmissing again in gallery form -- hopefully on the East Coast, as well! And yes yes yes, I'll certainly call with my new number,I need to update my website with a new one too...

Love --
mattilda