Sunday, July 31, 2011

Connection

Santa Fe is a tricky place. I'm walking down the street, thinking why the hell do I live in this place, there's nothing for me here, there isn't even anywhere to go except on aimless walks looking for connection and I never find it. But then I look up at the sky, the clouds towering the mountains, oh. Or: I go into an art gallery, study the way the light comes through the colors in these paintings of trees, single bend and broken trees surrounded by sky. Or, in another gallery, large-format photographs of decaying buildings in Africa, one of them is a formerly grand hotel in Mozambique where now it looks like people are living, maybe squatting, it looks like a rundown housing project except for that huge crumbling veranda, laundry hanging at the edge and the person working in the gallery is so friendly in her clunky cork wedgies, maybe those shoes are getting popular again. She opens up another building to show me more of the photos – I ask about the muted colors, she says he does something to make it that way, tonight there’s an opening and the artist will be there. Where is he from, I ask. Johannesburg, she says – although I don't think he lives there anymore, somewhere else in South Africa – I'm not sure where. I better study up before tonight, so I know the answers to these questions.

People are friendly in galleries here, I mean the people working there. Or, not always – in the gallery with the trees, the owner-type-person didn't even acknowledge me – he was directing someone to pack up one of the pieces, ship it off today. In the second gallery, the art isn't for sale and I like this woman, just a little bit of connection and I feel better. The walk back to my house doesn't feel as draining.

6 comments:

Claire Cramer said...

Re shoes: yes.

Re your writing: thank you.

mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

Thank you, Claire!

Love –
mattilda

Claire Cramer said...

I wrote you a message on Goodreads and you should go read it. I'm a queer slutty slut and you are reminding me that what I'm best at is drinking fucking and eating vegan food. <3

mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

Claire, how exciting – I am a bit behind on goodreads, better go over there now – or wait, in a few minutes, after I eat some more vegan foods to balance my blood sugar…

Love –
mattilda

Oli said...

Santa Fe is a trickster place.

mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

Trickster, for sure!

Love –
mattilda