Thursday, August 18, 2011

What we do here

Walking home, there's a whole crowd rushing over to the Cowgirl, the only bar around that's open, always packed with tourists and locals, and local tourists. It feels late but it's not that late really, and I want to stay here in this moment of walking home in the dark yes this dark I do love, now that the sun is setting earlier I see it more. I want to stay here in this moment when the smallness of this town feels more like the largeness of the sky, the familiarity of a walk down deserted streets, through a park that I love, across the ugly car boulevard that I hate, not deserted, into a much smaller park that isn't really a park just a staging ground for the road, around the corner and back to my apartment where I can hear the crickets chirping, yes the crickets everywhere outside you don't see them but that sound.

But now I'm here in this morning bloating, I thought maybe the morning part of the bloating was gone but it's not. So much worse today, and why? I can go over everything that I ate yesterday, but it doesn't help. I wonder if the vitamin D shots irritate my gut, but they're going into the muscle to avoid the gut, right? At least it's cloudy and cool, although probably that won't last long. A car drives by with two big tan dogs sticking their heads out of one window – maybe I'll stay with that image. This is what we do here: we watch cars.

4 comments:

Claire Cramer said...

The Cowgirl: http://www.steakhouseorgaybar.com/ ?

mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

What? That is wacky!

Love –
mattilda

Claire Cramer said...

Mattilda, I cannot stop playing it! For some reason everything I encountered online was so funny today. The first one that came up for me was some French name where the accented letter wasn't displaying correctly, and then it said in parentheses (Big Bear Den).

Then the next one was just Freddie's!

mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

Freddie's it is – we must meet there…

Love –
mattilda