Sunday, December 18, 2011

Oh, I almost neglected to mention the Band of Thebes "Best LGBT Books of 2011" list...

I always enjoy participating in this list – this year I chose Zipper Mouth by Laurie Weeks, and said:

Laurie Weeks’ Zipper Mouth is a novel so lush with language that casual neurosis and intimate decay take us skyward instead of sinking us, a bubble bath in an elevator. Listen: "Has it ever happened even once that she pushed the sheets off, bitter they weren't me, and moved around her kitchen making coffee in a haze, unhinged by love, brushing her teeth with Neosporin?" Also check out Captive Genders: Trans Embodiment and the Prison Industrial Complex, edited by Eric Stanley and Nat Smith, and A Queer History of the United States by Michael Bronski.

Browse the rest of the list here.

2 comments:

Oli said...

thank you for more fun books to read before school starts up again! winter looks gorgeous where you are; I hope it comes with some of the healing and relief you've been seeking. xx

mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

Oli, thank you – winter is gorgeous here, and in 10 days I leave to go on my West Coast book tour and then move to Seattle – healing and relief, I hope so!!!

Love –
mattilda