Saturday, December 17, 2011

Sixth grade math class

Oh, my poor feet – swollen toes, red painful sores. Of course I get up and look online to see what syphilis sores look like – oh, horrifying, now I'm going to have nightmares. I guess I better get an STD screening, just in case. We don't have an STD clinic here, so it's harder. I mean, I got that HIV test at pride, that was convenient, but the only STD they were testing for was hepatitis C, because so many people have it here, especially in prison, but I didn't feel like I was really at a risk for hepatitis C. When was the last time I got it STD screening? Over a year ago, I guess.

I had these sores last year, though, around the same time, so I think it has something to do with the dryness, the way my feet get swollen when they’re warm – and cold, I guess. Swollen: that's the theme of the day. Lying in bed in the middle of the night with this swollen belly, wondering if you could die from bloating, can everything explode? Not a good question to ask in the middle of the night, there's always the specter of Tycho Brahe who died in the 16th century from holding his bladder too long at a banquet, that's what I learned in sixth grade math class anyway.

No comments: