Saturday, March 10, 2012

Only time will tell

Hurry -- someone please explain to me this horrible fashion trend now quite popular among the gays. The first time I spotted it -- well, no, not the first time, but the first time in full force was in San Francisco with these two girls sporting charcoal above-the-knee raincoats with belts pulled tight, leather briefcase-shoulder bags, and skinny jeans tucked into unlaced brown leather work boots. That's the key -- the unlaced leather work boots -- sometimes new, sometimes old, usually brown but sometimes black if particularly vintage in presentation.

Wait, this might be getting confusing: I do mean to say that the first time I spotted this trend was in San Francisco -- you know that we don't have trends like these in Santa Fe, where caftans and kimonos, cowboy boots and sporting-good chic are eternal. So yes, San Francisco was where I found myself swept back into my studies of current trends not only popular in New Age towns or among ‘70s throwbacks.

Sorry for that detour -- let's get back to our report -- yes, the gays and straights sympathizers going for a little bit more realness model unfitted jeans, still tucked into the unlaced leather work boots, of course. Where did this awful fashion trend emerge? I mean -- I know that all fashion comes from that garbage bin of consumerist hubris known as the creative industry, but why this, why now? On the street in Seattle, yes I don't have my contacts on yet, but I can still recognize those unlaced work boots, and sense that snide look of studied disapproval even with coffee cup in mouth. The only thing that saves it is the curly-haired hawk-mullet -- can a curly-haired hawk-mullet save us all? Only time will tell.

6 comments:

John said...

what a strange trend! i'd love to see a photo of it...don't think i've come across this before
<3 john

mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

John, yes yes it's so silly that it MUST come directly from the fashion magazines although I haven't looked, but if I can get a photo I will certainly keep you posted...

Love --
mattilda

Nick said...

This was all over the place in New York, although not limited to queers. It's distracting to me because all I can imagine is the untied boot slipping off at inopportune times, so I'm not too into it. But clearly lots of people are!

Oh, but wait, I just saw you said work boots. These New York boots were sometimes work boots, but usually they were LL Bean duckboots. Same untied style though.

Also, messenger bags! Nobody in New York was sporting one. They'd all switched over to traditional backpacks. Leaving me to wonder what fate has befallen all those $100+ Chrome bags that were so popular? Hanging abandoned on various pegs in closets and entryways across the city? Time to break out the old JanSport.

Yay! More fashion posts!

mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

Really? L.L. Bean! Come to think of it, maybe sometimes those are duckboots, what? But I think more often that brand of work boot that I can't quite place, I will search the windows of the Carhartt/Dickies stores to see...

And yes, the disasters of fashion must be covered, imagine...

And oh, if those bitches would turn more often, please!

Love --
mattilda

davka said...

Ok, this past week I was in an airport and did a nearly full turn around to look at two men wearing jeans (not skinny though) with the bottoms tucked sloppily into unlaced huge brown boots, boots made for trudging through calf high swamps and rivers. I just thought it looked silly, but I wonder if this is what you are talking about?

mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

Yes yes and YES that's it, fashion must end...

Love--
mattilda