Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Closing my eyes

Here I am again, trying to decide whether to take a nap, which I guess means that I'm going to take a nap. The voice software just crashed, but now I'm back. You didn't notice. I did.

But back to trying to decide -- you know the story: I don't want to take a nap, because it will make me feel terrible, but I feel so terrible that I can only take a nap. Or else. Or else just sit here and stare into space and noticed the smell of mold surrounding me. This is my temporary apartment, luckily -- it's pristine for the most part, but then on those moist cold days comes that musty smell surrounding me, especially here in the back corner at the desk with the computer.

I say my temporary apartment, luckily, because hopefully in my new apartment there will be no such phenomenon. Unfortunately, though, unless I can figure out a successful intervention, there will be cigarette smoke floating into my windows, dammit. Across the street there’s some sort of assisted living where everyone comes out at a certain point in the day and smokes and it all blows into my window.

Or, not all of it, but enough to make my voice scratchy and give me a terrible headache. And then, there are the people who smoke right outside the front door of my building, and I'm just one floor up. Or, the ones who walk to the closer corner, and that's where the rest of my windows are. I know I'm going to be thinking about what it would be like to be a few floors higher, I'm going to be thinking about that a lot, that's for sure, unless I can think of a successful intervention but right now all I can think about is closing my eyes.

No comments: