Monday, May 28, 2012

Help!

Oh, no – how did I get sucked into listening to this call-in NPR program where caller after caller is telling us that we need to bring back the draft so young people really know what it is like to serve our country, I mean the first person thinks this would help bring people to an antiwar analysis, but the rest of them are just talking about patriotism patriotism patriotism we need more a sense of service to your country, and there's even this Dutch-born curator at the Getty Museum in LA who tells us he grew up thinking patriotism and nationalism were morally wrong, because of the way they were used in Germany during World War II, but then his son decided to join the Marine Corps and “our son educated us." These are people calling in from all over the US, mostly with some relationship to the military, and I'm just fascinated that there are no strident antiwar callers on NPR, but more likely they are being filtered out by the people answering the phone – I can't believe I've listened to this whole thing, but at least now the sun is coming out so I'm going outside to look for help, help, yes help…

2 comments:

Googie said...

I have difficulty grasping why so many people find such intense personal pride in nationalism. Is it simply a human need for hope? a self-serving justification? the quest for identity at the cost of the self? More importantly, why is everyone currently in the media afraid to criticize or condemn soldiers? Not the military, I mean the specific people who kill other people with their index fingers. It seems completely non-intuitive that the individuals who actually perform the heinous act are the one's most removed from judgement.

Excuse my mental wandering. Anyhow, this isn't exactly the right place for this comment, but I thought I'd provide my meager two cents on bloating and fatigue. You apparently eat lots of healthy, but gas-producing foods. And for myself, fatigue is usually the product of too much boredom, solitude and not enough exercise (aerobic and weight based). Plus exercise is supposed to improve sleep...So...beano and getting muscularish? I'm sure you've thought through this better than I.

mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

Googie, "I have difficulty grasping why so many people find such intense personal pride in nationalism" -- I couldn't agree more!!! And, about the people who do the killing…

Alas, my fatigue has nothing to do with boredom, and my solitude is often a result of too much fatigue – as for exercise, if only I could do that type of exercise without pain pain pain pain pain, believe me I've tried – and, as for enzymes, they all make everything worse except for this one formula which used to help, but now does nothing – oh the horror!

Love –
mattilda