Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Well, I guess I should make an official announcement that City Lights will be publishing The End of San Francisco in April 2013!!!

Here's a description of the book, in case you're curious:

Part memoir, part social history, and part elegy, The End of San Francisco explores the perils and possibilities of creating community through critique, relationships through activism, and accountability through action. Shifting swiftly between time and place, the book moves from the clampdown of a childhood in 1980s Washington DC to the camaraderie and conflict in direct action organizing, club culture, public sex and chosen family in early-‘90s San Francisco, mid-‘90s New England, post-grunge Seattle, Giuliani’s New York, and a gentrified San Francisco during and after the dot-com craze. Ultimately the book centers on the myths and realities of San Francisco as a refuge for radical queer visions in community-building. Using an unrestrained associative style to conjure the push and pull of memory, inspiration, resistance and loss, The End of San Francisco expresses and exposes the tensions between idealism and critical engagement, trauma and self-actualization.

4 comments:

kalamitykris said...

Congratulations on your newest book. I am looking forward to reading it when it is published and released. I am now reading "So Many Ways to Sleep Badly" and just finished "Pulling Taffy" and am really glad to have found your books and your blog you are a very interesting person and I really do like to read your work. I hope that life continues to get better and better for you each and every day. I enjoy reading about your past and present here on your blog and I have wrote plenty here so take care and have a good day!--Your Newest Fan, Chris

mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

Thank you so much, Chris!!!

Love--
mattilda

davka said...

Did that comment go through?

I said I can't wait for this. I am so excited. I read So Many Ways in just a few days and I couldn't put it down. Haven't been that excited about a book in awhile so I am going to count down the days til I can get this one.

Love!

mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

Davka, yay -- that's so wonderful to hear about So Many Ways! And, that your counting down the days until The End of San Francisco!!! I'm excited too -- or, now I am, anyway :)

Love--
mattilda