Tuesday, June 12, 2012

I heard that

But tonight I get inside and it's almost empty – that’s Christmas Eve in a college town I guess, even on Friday nights – only the people who don't have anywhere else to go, maybe 20 or 30 of us at the height and the music is more diva than knock-you-down but everyone's doing runway, this trans woman on the side just yelling and screaming and stumbling and one queen shaking her handkerchief and turn, turn like there's no one else around. Mostly black queens, a few Latina, one Asian trans woman, and then someone standing in the center just shrieking like she’s in church, fanning herself, two dyke couples in the corner and that’s who I end up dancing with. I'm one of maybe two white people there and everyone’s kind of ignoring me until towards the end when I’m really shaking it and the DJ puts on something harder, before I thought it couldn't be Michael Sheehan but maybe it is, and then this queen looks over at me like he just noticed and says ooh girl. But not in a shady way.

So then we’re working it out together -- her moves are all sashay and I'm giving my late-night high-speed shakedown and we’re both shrieking a bit and then somehow by the end everyone on the dance floor is feeling it together, yelling and screaming and sweating and some of the queens are saying uh huh, that's right, uh huh, and that’s the song that's playing – okay, all right, okay, all right and the woman in the middle starts actually singing, wailing big deep high notes, and the queen with the handkerchief just keeps walking like there's no one else in the world and I love all her attitude so much and then the music ends, the lights start to come on so I rush to the bathroom and then the woman from the center comes in flailing her arms as I'm zipping up and screams at me: watch the door, it's a men's bathroom, I don't want anyone to have my pussy!

I don't know if she really wants me to watch the door, but I stay anyway while she does two huge bumps, gasping dramatically at each one and when she comes out she holds out her hand and says I'm Lady Dionne. And I take her hand in mine and she says: the pleasure is mine. And then: ooh, your hands are cold, do you know what that means?

Bad circulation, I say, before she can say warm heart: someone already said that tonight. And she says ooh, I heard that. And when I get outside I think that's it, I'm moving to Boston.

No comments: