Friday, April 05, 2013

Maintaining

A question from someone after the reading in Eugene: how do you maintain hope?

A good question: sometimes I don’t feel like I’m hopeful at all. But I still believe in the same ideals as I did 20 years ago, or similar ideals, does that help me to feel hopeful? Even when everything turns into a sham, over and over again, even when everything fails me?
No, that doesn’t sound right. I have retreated more into myself, my own interior world, but I don’t want to. I still want to connect. I still want that dream of community, not as some amorphous thing you join or belong to, but you create with friends through activism and relationships and caring for one another.

Strangely, maybe I do feel more hopeful for these connections, these
sustained relationships, when I’m on tour. The intimacy of connection in the moment, through this work that I’m putting out in the world, through this vulnerability and openness. Is that hopeful? I don’t know.

No comments: