Saturday, January 11, 2014

The problem with the past


Oh, the posthumous canonization machine must stop, please make it stop. PLEASE STOP THE CANON. I have never been a weekend person, but one good thing about the weekend is that they actually turn the heat on in my building between 9 and 5. You know, because if we’re here during the week at that time, obviously we shouldn’t be. One of the problems with the current situation where no one uses the phone as the phone anymore is that my mother does.

If we need a canon, it should be the Homophobia Canon. The Misogyny Canon. The Racism Canon. Oh, wait, we already have those. But I mean if we need a canon, it should be what not to read. I guess we already have that too, but it needs to be relabeled. Serious relabeling is necessary. Excuse me, but I might just need to endlessly type the canon the cannon the canon the cannon the canon the cannon the canon the cannon the canon the cannon the canon the cannon the canon the cannon the canon the cannon the canon the cannon the canon the cannon the canon the cannon. This project of creating an alternate canon (or canons) is seriously misguided. It’s not who’s in the canon that matters, it’s who’s not. And here’s the story of Seattle: suddenly it’s sunny. But not for long. The problem with the past is the present.

No comments: